Feb 19, 2020 | Uncategorized

Have you recently moved to Queensland or are moving soon? Here is what you need to know about driving.

Congratulations! You’ve just made the great decision to move to the sunshine state and now it’s time to sort out some logistics.

Are you asking yourself…

  • What do I need to know about transferring my interstate (or international) licence to a Queensland driver’s licence?
  • Does my existing car registration carry over?
  • Are there any other things I should know about driving in Queensland?

then read on.

Driving in Queensland on an interstate (or international) driver’s licence

If you’re holding a valid interstate or overseas driver’s licence (and assuming there aren’t any disqualifications or court-orders against you) you have the right to drive in Queensland. Ensure your vehicle class is consistent, comply with the specific licence conditions, and be prepared to show your licence to relevant authorities when requested to do so.

Should you be staying in Queensland for more than 3 months, you are required to transfer your interstate or international licence to a Queensland driver’s licence at the end of that 3 month period. Interstate drivers need not worry about re-taking any tests, however, some international drivers do. Check the QLD Department of Transport and Main Roads for more details (https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/).

Does my car registration carry over?

Car registration requirements are a little more stringent. When moving to Queensland, you have 14 days to register your vehicle or else you may be fined. You can apply for a refund for the remaining balance of your registration, check into the Queensland Government website for more details (https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/transfer/interstate).

What else should you know about driving in Queensland?

Roadworthy (Safety) Certificates

When transferring ownership of any Queensland-registered vehicle, a Safety Certificate is required to ensure the vehicle meets minimum safety requirements. Qualified mechanics can help issue these for you.

Compulsory Third-Party Insurance (CTP)

CTP cover is paid for at the time of registration for your vehicle and will cover injuries sustained to persons as a result of negligence from motor vehicle claims. 4 insurers currently exist in Queensland market for CTP cover – Suncorp, RACQ, Allianz, and QBE.

Odd Queensland Road Laws

Give way to horses – yes, it is a recognised law to ensure you give way to passing horses on Queensland roads.

No pets on lap – though pets aren’t required to be restrained in Queensland, it is illegal to drive with your pet on your lap!

Honk in Control – unnecessarily honking your horn in Queensland will result in a fine (upwards of $76!).

Whilst we mightn’t be able to help you get out of a fine for not giving way to a horse, we can help with anything else your vehicle might need mechanically. Stouch Auto and Mechanical is Queensland’s fastest-growing mobile mechanic can perform everything from logbook servicing and safety certificates to tyre, air-conditioning and electrical maintenance for your vehicle. They’ll come to you so call today on 1300 568 603 to arrange a visit or check out their website to learn more (https://www.stouchmechanics.com.au/).

Stouch Auto and Mechanical has been awarded Autoguru’s Best Mobile Mechanic in Brisbane for 2 years running. They’re based in Richlands and service anywhere from the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Gold Coast.


Contact your Relocation Agent in Australia, Claymore Thistle, today for more information. We make relocating to Queensland easy!

Download our Relocation Checklist

Thank you for downloading our checklist, please check your inbox for details.